Our History

CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH OF ELM CREEK

Established  1886

German immigrants settling in the Elm Creek / New Berlin area began meeting together for worship services in the 1880’s. The first services conducted for Christ Lutheran Church were held in the Neumann School in 1886, with the first church council elected on February 14, 1886. There were 49 charter members. Worship was conducted exclusively in the German language until the 1940’s.

On May 2,1886 a church building was dedicated. This building collapsed in June and another building was built, only to be destroyed by a hurricane in August of 1886. The current building was built and dedicated on February 28, 1887. The bell that is still in our bell tower was cast in 1888.

Ministries began to form soon after the erection of the last building. Sunday School started in 1891, a women’s group, the “Frau en Verein” organized about 1912, and the altar guild was formed in 1962. A men’s group was also formed during these years.

In 1901, 20 families from Christ Lutheran formed a mission congregation in La Vernia, which became Immanuel Lutheran Church. For many years the two parishes shared a pastor.

Over the years, the church building has grown to accommodate a growing congregation. Annexes were built to accommodate worshipers, a kitchen and fellowship hall were added, additional Sunday School rooms were added, and in 2010 we dedicated additional fellowship and office facilities.

The Lord has blessed us in so many ways here at Christ Lutheran of Elm Creek. For almost 125 years this congregation has stood as a faithful witness to our Lord in this community. As we go into our future, we dedicate ourselves to loving and serving the Lord our God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves. Please join us in this calling !